If there is one thing I am really nervous about in my upcoming visit to India (apart from the Internal flights!) It’s touching peoples feet.
I Understand the showing of respect to elders, and the importance of doing this to Babu’s Parents upon meeting out of respect and also making the best first impression, but what is worrying me is the mechanics of it all.
I can’t seem to find any sort of video on youtube to guide me either! I undertsand you touch their feet and they put they hand on/over your head to bless you, but I have a few questions…..
– Do you bend at the waist? crouch/squat? or full on go down on your knees?
– If you are doing it to two people next to each other – do you get up in-between or do both whilst your there?
– Do you just touch with a finger? or whole hand?
– Which bit of the foot do you actually touch?
– When do you get back up? straight away?
I’ve tried to get answers from Babu but he’s not being particularly helpful, and then when I asked for a demonstration it turned into a bicker as as much as he wants me to get it right out of pride/tradition/whatever he would not show me!!!
I know I’m probably majorly over thinking this but since it is the first impression I will make I want to get it right,
Any help will be much appreciated.